Finding courage and hope to mend half a heart

Zoe was born on July 4, 2011 with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. This is our journey to find courage and hope to mend our daughter's half of a heart.

Monday, May 30

31 Weeks! Zoe's Shower And The Air Mattress

Woohoo!  We are 31 weeks today!  I cannot believe how far we have come.  Zoe is doing great and I am doing much better compared to last week.

Yesterday our family and friends threw us a beautiful shower in the rose garden.  We have been looking forward to this day for quite some time.  My sister really went above and beyond with all of her hard work and planning.  My mom, mother in-law, L, J, and S all had their hands in this too.  Words cannot express our gratitude.

Just the act of getting ready for the shower was great.  I could dress up and wear real shoes even! My dear friend, D, visited a few hours before the party for a special treat, a haircut and styling.  Even with strange and limited facilities her fantastic talent resulted in lovely hair.  Thank you for the pick me up! My mom (thank you for painting my toes) and grandmother visited with me as I while I dressed, quality we don't get often.

Dressed and ready to go, I was taken by wheelchair (did you get that? no gurney!) to be greeted by sunshine, tables with pink linens, tear drop vases with white hydrangeas, amazing food and sweets... and most importantly the 30 something most loving family and friends.  The overwhelming sense of love just about knocked me out of the chair.

Mmmmm mmmmm, the food!  Mini delicious sandwiches filled with roast beef and horseradish mayonnaise, turkey and cranberry relish, tuna salad, and an artichoke vegetarian treat.  A platter filled with assorted tasty cheese and crackers, a cheese lovers dream.  Field greens with T's special balsamic dressing that is out of this world.  Fruit salad accompanied with a sweet and creamy dip.  Beautiful hot pink cupcakes with sugar sprinkles handmade by J.  The favors, made by L & S, were so pretty (and of course mmmm mmmm sweet!) cake pops packaged by the pair with a an adorable label. Everyone really outdid themselves.

In honor of Dylan, B and I ordered handmade paper butterflies that are filled with wild flower seeds.  We put them in glassine envelopes with a sweet message to our guests.  Our hopes are that everyone plants these seeds in their gardens and remembers our sweet boy and his short time with us.



As a butterfly graces our lives with one moment's
fragile beauty, so too has Dylan's presence blessed us.
May we find peace and joy with each butterfly that passes
knowing that Dylan lives on in the hearts of all he touched.

B and I had such a great time seeing everyone, it has been a very long time for most.  There were many hugs and words of encouragement for all three of us.  Most of the time was filled with laughter and smiles, but there were a few moments of tears.  Zoe is already spoiled, all the gifts were beyond generous and caring.  We have such a strong support system.  Thank you everyone, you really lifted our spirits.

The time came for my carriage to turn into a pumpkin and I reluctantly said my goodbyes.  Wisked off to my home away from home leaving those I love and care for behind.  I had something to look forward to though.

The antepartum ward has settled down and many patients have moved on.  I mentioned to my nurse earlier the unappealing shared bathroom with the lack of cleanliness.  A gathering of minds at the nurses station and much to our surprise a huge room with it's own shower was offered to us.  After the party my B and my family helped move me to my new abode.  Even though the view isn't as nice as before this is such a nice change of pace, the room is very large, central air, huge bathroom, and an air mattress.  This air mattress has been the greatest thing ever, my hips feel so much better and I slept very well.  In fact I am enjoying it's comfort as I sit here and write to you.

Up Next

Tomorrow we have an OB ultrasound to measure Zoe's growth from two weeks ago.  I am both looking forward and dreading this.  Our hopes is that she is nearing 4 pounds.  Thursday (moved from last Thursday) is the big meeting day of everyone involved in Zoe's care.  Both B and I are anxious for the discussions to take place as well as planning Mission Zoe.  Who knows where this will take us with all the success we have had so far in maintaining this pregnancy.

Now to spend the rest of my short afternoon with B even though he has dozed off.  Hate it when he has to leave...

PS... A birdie told me that a reader of my blog recently had a stay here at St. Josephs.  I hope that your encounter was brief and uneventful.  I am curious how you found my blog, kind of neat in a small world sort of way.  Even though I do not know you, best wishes to you and your baby!

6 comments:

  1. The shower sounds like it was absolutely WONDERFUL! We also had my shower at the hospital and it is amazing as to how getting all dressed up and leaving your room to party to totally raise your spirits! I am so happy you had such a wonderful day! Keep it up girl...you are doing great! Keeping you, B, and your beautiful little Zoe in my thoughts and prayers! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the shower was really special. I LOVE the butterflies, they are so meaningful! Still keeping yall in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the one following your blog.
    You and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers. I found your blog when you were on PgAL.
    Michelle ( lorange-8)
    You can email me at mommylovesfarrah@yahoo.com if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That shower sounds so very special, and I'm really glad you were able to remember Dylan with your friends and family, as well. I'm so glad that you and Zoe are so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you had such a lovely shower! The butterfly keepsake is a beautiful idea to remember and honor Dylan. Enjoy your new digs and I hope all goes well with your upcoming appointments.
    Love and hugs,
    Nat

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely sounding day, Jenn. I'm so glad you were able to get out in the sunshine, surrounded by family and friends and love. The wildflower butterflies choked me up.

    Enjoy your new room like a queen!

    ReplyDelete