Finding courage and hope to mend half a heart

Zoe was born on July 4, 2011 with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. This is our journey to find courage and hope to mend our daughter's half of a heart.

Monday, March 5

8 Months Old!

My little surfer girl
Wow wow wow ... where is the time going?  My baby girl is growing up so fast and I would like to hit the pause button.  Yesterday she turned 8 months old!  Can you believe it!?!?!  We celebrated by spending a late afternoon at Salt Creek Beach, it was perfect and beautiful day.

So what have we been up to? Adjusting into routines, trying to get out a bit, finishing up her room, and lots and lots of cuddles.

Milestones and Play
Zoe is now sits with pure confidence.  She really loves to hang out on her rug and play with her toys for a good part of the day.  She is quite vocal and will let you know if she wants something.  She also likes to stand but hasn't taken a step.  No crawling  either, but I think that is just around the corner.  Her new thing is to sit and bounce which has now become a sit, bounce and push forward.  This usually ends up in a face plant but she is closer to the object she desires (usually her her fascination with the remote control and my cell phone).  She has perfected rolling onto her back and I have caught her only after she rolled over on her tummy.  She isn't too keen on that which I can imagine her chest is still somewhat tender from surgery.

Laughter
Oh does Zoe ever love to laugh and I must say it is the cutest laugh ever!  Her giggles warm our hearts.  She is truly a happy little girl despite all that she has gone through in her short life.

Teeth
After all this mad teething for months on end we finally have two big chompers in all their glory.  These teeth have caused her a bit of misery, but it all seems to be well for now.  I bought her an Amber teething necklace (not for actual chewing) that helps to sooth the teething pains.  Seems to be working so we will stick with it.

nom nom nom avocado
Food
Well that has had it's ups and downs.  We hit it off with purees right after surgery.  She loved avocados, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash.  Then last week she took a huge stall and refused them.  After several attempts to only be snuffed, I finally gave into the baby led eating.  I now give her toast sticks smeared with avocado, shelled peas, avocado spears, pasta, potato pancakes... and this is just the start.  So far she is much more into eating.  She loves her sippy cups too.  Independent.  That is my girl.

Fundraiser
We are wrapping up the last few lose ends of our fundraiser attempt.  WOW!!!  We did better then we thought thank you to some extremely generous donations.  We still have about 40 bands left if you are still wanting to participate.  I cannot wait for the final tally and to post the donation check!

Heart
Zoe is almost 7 weeks post op!  She has done spectacular in her recovery as far as we know.  Her next cardio appt isn't until the later part of this month.  It is hard to not focus on her heart everyday.  I am working so hard to just have fun with her, but I still worry.

1 comment:

  1. awww Zoe has the sweetest smile! Time sure does fly by faster when you have a little one. I can't believe my son Judah just turned 18 months

    ReplyDelete