Yep, the other shoe dropped loud and clear - and just when I thought we were on the upswing again.
While out for lunch we received a message from our nurse to call back regarding Zoe. Our hearts hit the pavement, they have never called before and we were under the impression that this was reserved for emergencies. I immediately called back and no one was answering the phone in her room... you can imagine where our minds quickly went. Complete panic sets in (I am NEVER leaving the area again).
Second call and I get through to our nurse who puts me on with the doctor. The surgeons' made their afternoon rounds (which are split second quick) and want to put a chest tube back in Zoe's right chest wall cavity. They hope this will quickly alleviate the fluids collecting around her lungs and sped along extubation. The procedure is supposedly quick and we can stay bedside for it, but it will require her to be sedated again (heavy sigh - we just got off all the damn drugs!!!). They do also use paralytic medications, but said it is not necessary. We have opted to not do this to her as this drug does nothing for pain. Once she is sedated and comfortable, a small tube (much smaller then the surgical chest tubes) will be inserted between her right ribcage bones and just into her chest cavity. This should only be in place for a few days at the most. It has been explained to us that this will not hinder any further progress in sprinting or feeding, it will either help or do nothing with the fluid issues. While I do not want to agree to this, we are.
Sorry baby girl, not the birthday party we had planned for you.
Continued prayers and love to you guys.
ReplyDeleteThinking of yall!
ReplyDelete