Finding courage and hope to mend half a heart

Zoe was born on July 4, 2011 with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. This is our journey to find courage and hope to mend our daughter's half of a heart.

Friday, January 13

Funny How 24 Hours Can Bring Change

As I am writing this I am in total disbelief...

Zoe's surgery is now scheduled for next Thursday.  Yes you read that right... next Thursday.  

Dr. Starnes office called just a around 3pm to tell me they had an opening and do we want it.  Yes! No! Yes! No!  After talking with some of my heart moms and medical fields the mutual word is yes, get out of interstage.  A month's time leaves the doors open for complications to arise, illness, outgrowing the shunt, etc.  Zoe is perfectly healthy and a great candidate - the time is right.  I called back and said yes.

In less then one week I will be handing my daughter over to the most amazing surgeon to begin the next step to a mended heart.  I can't believe we are here already.

We will be relocating to Los Angeles next Wednesday for pre-op.  Hopefully we will be able to get into the Ronald McDonald house again.  Thursday morning we will walk her to the OR and begin the wait that will seem like an eternity.

Zoe is sitting here in my arms right this moment.  She is rubbing my neck and snuggling in.  These moments are so precious and make life so much bigger then we realize on a day to day basis.  I love her so much.  She is everything to me.  She makes me whole.  I am scared.  So scared.


Blood Drive!!!

There is still time to coordinate a donor direct blood and platelet drive.  CHLA can accept donations through Monday.  The only thing you need to do for direct donation is to give Zoe's name and the date of her surgery, January 19th.  Please refer to the prior blood drive HERE.  Please contact me or leave a comment for more information if needed.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad she will have her surgery earlier. Sending lots of T&Ps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending big hugs and tons of thoughts for you guys this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending huge prayers and hugs your way. I am thinking about your little one all day. Strength and love and more strength and courage. Be strong Zoe! You are so loved!

    ReplyDelete