Finding courage and hope to mend half a heart

Zoe was born on July 4, 2011 with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. This is our journey to find courage and hope to mend our daughter's half of a heart.

Saturday, July 16

Zoe's Progress

Let's start off with some pictures before surgery.  She is so precious!






Whew... we are exhausted!

Everything has gone really well considering the depth of Zoe's first stage surgery.  Yesterday she had her chest closed and is still doing excellent.  She is pretty much breathing on her own even though on a vent and her heart is in a sinus rhythm (which you want) as opposed to a junctional rhythm (junctional is common after such a traumatizing operation).  All in all everyone is pleased with her progress.

Tomorrow is a big day at Children's Hospital of Los Angeles as the new hospital opens it's doors.  All patients will be transferred tomorrow and this is quite a huge deal as I am sure you can imagine.  Zoe was to have her vent and chest tubes removed today but everyone feels more confident to wait until after the big move.  I can breathe much easier with this since I am afraid that the transfer may rock her world a bit.  Once she is moved Zoe will have her own room.  In fact she will be the first baby in that room at the new hospital.  I think that is kind of special, although I wish no children ever had to be here.

Since the staff prefers we stay out of their hair, which I can understand, B and I will be heading out for a  picnic with a celebratory wine.  We may also view the Tim Burton exhibit at LACMA.  This outing is much needed for many reasons but mostly because day in and day out at the hospital is beyond draining.  In fact we are losing all concept of time.

For the most part B and I have been running on adrenaline over the past two weeks.  Our get up and go has gone and we hit a wall yesterday.  After an early dinner we headed back to the Ronald McDonald House around 7pm and didn't get out of bed until 8 this morning.  We need to take care of ourselves so that we are ready to take care of Zoe.  I find it hard to balance with this as I cannot stand leaving her alone.

Oh yea!  Yesterday B & I had CHLA help us install the car seat.  Yes, this may be a bit early but it gives us a lot of hope that she will someday be riding in that seat.  This morning we both had a smile on our face when we jumped in the car.

no more car seat in a box
installed!

I have a lot more to say as well as medical details, but I will have to get to that another time.  I must now go gaze upon our amazing heart warrior!

Here are some pictures post surgery and post chest closure...  I will warn you now that these may be difficult for some to look at.

post surgery day 3

post chest closure day 2

6 comments:

  1. She is beautiful. I keep all of you in my thoughts, daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is amazing in so many ways! I'm glad to read that you two are taking care of yourselves as well. Good luck with the move tomorrow and we'll continue to think of you all daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is such a fighter and a miracle!!!! Take care of yourselves and make sure to get rest...Keeping you guys in our thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a precious girl! Such a gift from God! Praying for your sweet Zoe and that the Lord would heal her completely. Thanks for the update. Praying for you in Orange County, CA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is so perfect. Im so happy things are going well. I hope you continue to get some much needed rest. Thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is so amazing...and so are you and B. Continuing to send much love and prayers to you all.

    ReplyDelete