Finding courage and hope to mend half a heart

Zoe was born on July 4, 2011 with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. This is our journey to find courage and hope to mend our daughter's half of a heart.

Friday, April 29

Live from Mission Hospital Labor and Delivery

Well, I spoke a little too soon that things were going well. Yesterday morning I was questioning Braxton Hicks vs contractions paired with some issues arising from the loss of our boy. Dr. M asked that I go to labor and delivery just as a precaution. Well good thing I did. Once I was hooked up, poked, prodded - the contractions skyrocketed to moderate pain happening every 6 minutes then 4 minutes. I also has aow grade fever suggesting an infection, possibly uterine.

Two shots of turbulene and the contractions would quickly subside. Once them meds wore off they were back and even more frequent. Next was a dose of procadia and some other pill, worked for a short time. I didnt like either of these drugs as they make you heart race way too much.

Talks began about premature delivery being a possibility. In anticipation of this worse case senario and for Zoe's best chance I received my first shot of steriods. Ouch! Around 7:30 I was hooked up to an IV with antibiotics and magnesium, the big guns to stop contractions. It was a long bumpy night and we met with the neonatologist to discuss an of action should we be forced to deliver. Around 2 am my contractions were 10, 15, even 30 minutes apart. Less painful and shorter. I broke down and took an ambein for sleep after watching the royal wedding. Four hours of none or one contractions! Drs are pleased.

Now I am waiting for the next blood drawand steroid shot.

My perinatologist just walked in with some news. Mission's neonatology team is uncomfortable with me here should I go into labor due to Zoe's condition. The plan is to possibly transfer me to St Josephs and CHoC in orange, if a doctor is comfortable with accepting our situation, or to Presbyterian Hospital and CHLA. It is understandable why a do odor may not want me. So we will see where this goes.

Zoe needs to stay put for many more weeks. Please keep us in your thoughts that we overcome yet another obstacle. Obviously we are sacred, but are trusting that we have a wonderful team to care for our family.

7 comments:

  1. Many thoughts and prayers for you and Zoe! We'll be checking in throughout the day. Heart hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping and praying everything works out and we are here for you if you need anything!! You stay put Miss Zoe ... we are excited to meet you but not yet!
    Sara, mother to Townsend, HLHS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers and thoughts for you and Zoe. Please stay put, little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every single "stay put! and stay healthy!" thought that I can muster is headed your way, Jenn. So much love to you and Zoe. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending every positive vibe, stay put vibe I can. Keeping you all in my thoughts. Huge hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You, B, and Zoe continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Stay put little one! So much love and many hugs headed your way. xoxo

    ReplyDelete